The Alberta Mycological Society (AMS) will host its Annual General Meeting (AGM) on March 19, 2022 from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. via Zoom. This year we’re excited to have Alan Rockefeller as our guest speaker. He’ll be presenting:
Being an Amateur Mycologist
Using the tools and resources available to develop your skills as an amateur mycologist and how this can contribute to the advancement of mycology.
Alan Rockefeller is a citizen mycologist based in Oakland, California. Rockefeller started studying mushrooms in 2001 and has since traveled around the world to find and classify them. He studies and teaches microscopy and fungal analysis techniques at Counter Culture Labs, an open-science, community laboratory in Oakland. He analyzes his regional mushroom collections at the lab using DNA extraction and polymerase chain reaction.
Rockefeller discovered and named Psilocybe allenii, a psychoactive mushroom (magic mushroom) from the West Coast of the United States. He co-authored a 2020 publication characterizing five Psilocybe species. Mycological and psychedelic organizations around the country have invited Rockefeller to present his research. He is esteemed in online communities including the Shroomery, Mushroom Observer, and iNaturalist, where he helps to identify fungi. (Edited from Psychedelic Science).
In this AGM, we’ll be talking about events we have planned this year. If you have any questions, concerns, or requests, this is a great place to share them. Here are some other important things to note:
- Registration opens Monday, February 28.
- A day or so prior to the meeting, an email with the Zoom link will be circulated to all registrants.
- You can view this AGM agenda and last year’s AGM minutes:
- Minutes of the 2021AGM
- If your membership is expiring prior to the AGM, please renew your membership before March 19, 2021.
- If you are interested in serving as a Director on the AMS board, please contact Karen Slevinsky by email at email@example.com. In the weeks prior to the AGM, a nomination subcommittee will review all those interested in serving.
Unfortunately, the President’s Dinner, which traditionally follows the AGM, will be cancelled again this year due to the short notice after the removal of the COVID mandates. But we have high hopes for next year.
Looking forward to seeing you soon!